This baked apple dessert is a sweet way to enjoy Washington’s state fruit. They’re great with walnuts too!
- 8 large tart apples
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup slivered or sliced almonds, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup raisins
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Wash then core the apples and place in a baking dish.
- Mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, almonds, and raisins together, and fill the holes in the apples.
- Top with a little dab of butter.
- Bake the apples for 45 to 60 minutes or until they are tender but not mushy.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Still have apples? Try this apple muffin recipe.
Baked apple nutrition facts
% of Daily Value*
|Total Fat 6g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carb 44g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||22%|
Vitamin D 10% | Vitamin C 86% | Calcium 3% | Iron 8%
* Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
This recipe, originally published on Kaiser Permanente’s Food for Health blog, was submitted by Dr. Preston Maring. Dr. Maring practiced at Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in Oakland, Calif. from 1971 to 2013.