The same practices that stop the spread of the common cold and seasonal flu are recommended to avoid the coronavirus.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Wash your hands with soap and water frequently for at least 20 seconds. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers are also effective.
- Try not to touch your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Stay home when you’re sick. If you think you need medical care, call your doctor’s office or the consulting nurse — don’t just come in. Or use a virtual care options.
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue or your elbow. Wash your hands afterward.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Get plenty of rest, drink plenty of fluids, eat healthy foods, and manage your stress.
This short video offers a few more tips.
Want more local health news, wellness tips, recipes, and more? Subscribe to the Kaiser Permanente Washington newsletter.